South Tahoe Nordic teams improve heading into state championships
March 1, 2019
The South Tahoe Nordic team has had a busy few weeks traveling to meets while also trying to figure out how to effectively train with February seeming to be one giant snowstorm.
South Tahoe's scheduled home meet Tuesday, Feb. 26, was snowed out. That meet was already rescheduled from Feb. 15 when snow again blanketed Lake Tahoe.
"It appears that too much of a good thing (snow) can be as bad on a ski program as too little, but the team has been dealing with it the best we can and still having lots of fun, although the team was bummed our home meet was canceled," said Vikings head coach Mark Hoefer. "Despite the hard training conditions, the athletes showed continued improvement and had some good results at this last race before heading into the state championship."
Christopher Hoefer earned a top 10 finish for the boys and Nicole Morgan finished just outside the first 10 to lead the Viking girls Friday, Feb. 22, at the Auburn Ski Club.
Sugar Bowl Academy's Nick Cutler set the boys' blistering pace, finishing two 2.5K classic/stride laps in 15 minutes, 45 seconds.
Hoefer crossed the finish line in 18:43.
Recommended Stories For You
Due to winter break, only two other Vikings competed. Rhys Davies finished 18th in 25:20 and Raymond Charley was 20th in 26:39.
In the girls' race, Sofia Sanchez from Sugar Bowl Academy dominated from start to finish, posting a time of 17:33, nearly 4:30 ahead of the second place skier.
For the Lady Vikings, Nicole Morgan was the top finisher, placing 11th with a time of 27:08, followed by Eliana Carney in a time of 28:45 (12th) and Clarice Ferguson in 28:51 (21st).
The rest of the girls' team was rounded out by Emily Dilts 31:06 (26th) and Sierra Dahl 32:38 (27th).
The Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Nordic Championships are classic/skate races at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 2, at Auburn Ski Club.
Trending In: Sports
- Vikings baseball off to hot start, sweeps North Valleys
- South Tahoe’s Griffis signs to play football for Presentation College
- State Champs! Incline Village prevails over The Meadows School in Las Vegas
- Incline star Redfern sweeps MVP awards, freshman Stranzl earns top honors
- South Tahoe baseball starts strong, eyes another run at state title
- Missing snowboarder found dead at Lake Tahoe ski resort
- Sierra storm could bring up to 1 foot of snow to higher elevations around Lake Tahoe
- Bear cubs found by California highway may have been poached
- Mountain Housing Council releases report on short-term rentals in North Lake Tahoe, Truckee
- High-tech fight on aquatic invasive plants in Lake Tahoe shows promising results