South Tahoe suffers 2 losses in 2 days, drops to 3rd place
January 31, 2018
The South Tahoe boys' basketball team suffered two straight road losses on consecutive days, Friday and Saturday, Jan. 26-27, and dropped into a tie for third place in the Northern League.
The Vikings fell Friday 73-62 to league-leading Elko and lost 61-58 Saturday to Spring Creek.
The Vikings have four games remaining and are close to clinching a playoff berth. The top six teams in the nine-team league will battle Feb. 15-16 in the Nevada Interscholastic Athletic Association 3A Northern League Basketball Championships in Elko, Nevada.
The Vikings loss by 11 points to Elko mirrored their defeat in the teams' first meeting Dec. 15 where they lost by 11, 51-40. Elko has not lost at home for several years.
South Tahoe hoped for a bounce-back effort against Spring Creek, but a bad third quarter cost the Vikings.
South Tahoe led 16-12 after the first quarter and was tied 29-29 at halftime. But the Vikings scored just six points in the third quarter and trailed 41-35 heading into the final frame.
Recommended Stories For You
The Vikings (9-8, 7-5 Northern) traveled to Dayton (4-8 Northern) Tuesday, Jan. 30, (after press deadline) and will finish the week Saturday afternoon, Feb. 3, at Fernley (6-5 Northern).
South Tahoe will celebrate senior night Tuesday, Feb. 6, against Sparks before finishing the regular season against Churchill County at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 10.
The South Tahoe girls lost a pair Friday and Saturday and have lost seven straight since winning their only game of the season Jan. 2 against Dayton. The Vikings (1-19, 1-11 Northern) played Dayton Tuesday night (after press deadline) seeking their second win.
Trending In: Sports
- South Lake Tahoe’s Jamie Anderson named to 2018-19 US Snowboard Team
- Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar ski resorts announce 2018-19 opening dates
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- South Tahoe volleyball fights back, but falls in state semifinals
- Incline volleyers rally falls short in state championships
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe