South Tahoe tennis players eliminated in state quarterfinals
October 28, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Similar to their Northern Region counterparts, South Tahoe's state qualifiers found things difficult at the NIAA Div. I-A State Tennis Championships last weekend at Tahoe Donner Tennis Center. None of the Vikings' qualifiers advanced past the quarterfinals in a tournament dominated by players from the south.
Northern Region players and teams won one out of 12 quarterfinal matchups on Friday in boys singles, girls singles and girls doubles combined. The lone win was a default victory by Truckee's Aimee LeGrandeur in girls singles — LeGrandeur lost 0-6, 0-6 in the next round.
Boys doubles was the only bracket where the Southern Region found success. Its teams won three out of four matches in the quarterfinals, and top-seeded Miles Prim and Cole Steinberg of Incline finished as co-champions with a team from Clark (Las Vegas.
In boys singles, third-seeded Adam Jarrett had the most success of South Tahoe's five state qualifiers — he lost to sixth-seeded Ainsley Osawa of Western (Las Vegas) 3-6, 2-6. Top-seeded Louis Marin fell to eighth-seeded Kevin Chau of The Meadows (Las Vegas) 1-6, 1-6 and fifth-seeded Hawley Jarrett lost to fourth-seeded Eric Clark of Spring Valley (Las Vegas) 0-6, 0-6.
In girls singles, third-seeded Kylee Lyons lost to sixth-seeded Anuja Daulat (The Meadows) 0-6, 1-6. In girls doubles, the third-seeded team of Natalie Allen and Catherine Baghdikian lost to sixth-seeded Jayden Mattson and Michelle Reiss from Faith Lutheran (Las Vegas) 1-6, 1-6.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Incline’s baseball magic runs out in playoffs
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Big mudslide blocks US 395 near Nevada-California state line (updated)
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar