South Tahoe wrestler makes finals at Corning Invitational
February 3, 2003
South Tahoe High School senior heavyweight wrestler David Vasquez made the finals of the Corning Invitational Tournament in Northern California on Saturday.
Vasquez, who won four straight matches to make the final round, was defeated in the finals in the 275-pound weight class by Corey Bell of Modoc in a gymnasium packed with spectators.
“Dave wrestled well,” said South Tahoe coach Jack Lopez. “His technique wasn’t any better, but the boy was a little bit stronger.”
Thirty-one schoold participated in the tourney near Red Bluff, Calif.
South Tahoe freshman wrestler Garrett Gibb also finished well in the 103-pound weight class, making it to the second round before losing in overtime.
“If you lose in the second round of a one-day tourney this large, the best you can get is fifth,” Lopez said. “He was clearly the third- or fourth-best 103-pounder in the tournament. He lost in overtime to a youngster that went onto the finals.”
Recommended Stories For You
Gibb’s win came against Mike House of Middletown by a 10-2 score.
South Tahoe’s next event is the regionals Friday and Saturday in Sparks.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe