STHS doubles team faces Sunrise runners-up at state
October 23, 2008
It took longer than usual, but South Tahoe High’s Savannah Cherry and Lindsey Buchanan-Martin finally found out their quarterfinal opponent for the Nevada 4A state tennis tournament.
The Vikings’ doubles team learned Thursday that it will face Coronado’s Jordan Bruy and Jordan Luna on Friday at 2 p.m. at Centennial Park in Carson City.
Bruy and Luna were the Sunset region runners-up, losing 6-0, 6-1 in their regional championship match last week against Kristen Santero and Nicole Santero of Silverado. The Santero sisters were state runners-up a year ago.
“Savannah and Lindsey have been determined since the beginning of the summer to get to state,” said STHS first-year coach Jenny Clark. “Their chances at state are as good as anyone else who has made it through regionals.”
If Buchanan-Martin and Cherry win Friday’s match, they will face the winner of Sunset region champions Bishop Gorman’s Anita Lee and Sarah Bessen and Galena’s Emily McClintock and Leann Roggensack. Lee was the state runner-up in singles last year and has helped the Gaels to team titles in 2007 and 2006.
Buchanan-Martin and Cherry are the second STHS doubles team to qualify for state in the past eight years. Chela Wahl and Kenzie Usher advanced to state last year, losing in the quarterfinals.
Recommended Stories For You
“The girls and I are very excited about their state debut,” Clark said. “They have worked very hard all summer and fall to get to this point.”
The semifinals are scheduled for 9 a.m. on Saturday at Carson High School, with the finals set for 1 p.m. at the high school.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain, thunderstorms, warmer temperatures in forecast