STHS girls’ relay team breaks record
April 21, 2005
The South Tahoe High girls’ 4×800 relay team made up of Heather Newman, Jordan Dalton, Kimmy Arroues and Kelsey McClurg set a school record on Wednesday in Fallon, winning the race in 10 minutes, .09 seconds.
The foursome actually broke their own record, which was set last year, and are in solid position to improve on Wednesday’s time later this season. Elko won the five-team girls’ meet, totaling 95 points. The Indians were followed by Fallon (94), North Valleys (79), Wooster (64) and South Tahoe (39).
Other solid results for the girls included McClurg’s first-place finish in the 800-meter race. Her time of 2:26.2 was more than six seconds faster than the second-place girl. In the 3,200-meter race, South Tahoe’s Kate Lambdin and Anna Lambdin finished second and third, respectively, and Arroues took third in the 1,600 (5:43).
A short-handed South Tahoe boys’ team was led by Dan McCullough, who took first in the 400-meter dash (55.5), and Alex Sharp’s second-place finish in the 3,200-meter race (10:51.7). Freshman Patrick Reilly took third in 3,200 (11:13.8), while Sharp took fourth in the 1,600 (4:55).
Senior thrower Matt Bobman, who already owns the school record in the shot put, finished second with a throw of 50 feet, 2 inches. Mikey Van Gorden and Corey Vermillion were both unable to participate at the Fallon meet because they were out of town due to South Tahoe’s spring break.
The Vikings have the weekend off but return to action next Saturday. The top athletes will compete at the Meet of Champions in Sacramento, while the other athletes will travel to Reno to compete in the Manogue meet. Currently, Bobman, Arroues, McClurg, Vermillion, Kate Lambdin and Ellen Gallanty are the only invitees to the Meet of Champions.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar