STHS girls rout El Cajon
December 30, 2003
By Steve Yingling
Tribune sports editor
Maybe South Tahoe High girls’ basketball coach Chris Proctor should conduct his early morning minicamp into the Sierra Division season.
The Vikings won their second successive game in the Steele Canyon Holiday Classic, defeating El Cajon Valley 53-29 Tuesday night in San Diego.
Since their arrival in San Diego, the routine has been breakfast at 6:30 a.m., practice at 7 and football-style conditioning to conclude practice at 11.
“They’re really working and playing great,” Proctor said.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe (5-9) used a superb defensive effort and a combined 30-point effort by guard Tiffany Pinson and post Lindsey Caven.
El Cajon jumped out to a 6-0 lead, but then the Vikings turned up their defensive pressure to take over the second-round game.
“Largely due to Tiffany and Monica Knight our trap was really effective,” Proctor said.
Pinson finished with 18 points, while Caven had 12 points and six boards.
“We’re starting to see some jelling,” Proctor said. “When plays have broken down in the past we’ve turned the ball over, but tonight we were improvising and getting layups or fouled.”
South Tahoe will play Brawley this morning before taking off New Year’s Day. By winning today and on Friday, the Vikings will advance to Friday night’s championship game.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe boys’ soccer latest to fall against 3A newcomer North Valleys
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Whittell gridders excited for home game, field dedication
- South Tahoe football stays positive, hosts Fallon Friday night
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Authorities recover body from 1,062 feet in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe