STHS golfer advances to state tourney
May 8, 2003
“You just have to play every shot and you can’t think ahead of yourself because when you do that you start playing badly.”
That was the advice from South Tahoe High golfer Dan D’Angelo for those who find themselves struggling on the course in the midst of heady competition. D’Angelo was the only Viking golfer to advance to state following two days of Northern Nevada 4A regional competition at Dayton Valley Country Club Tuesday and Wednesday.
D’Angelo is the first South Tahoe golfer to advance to the state tourney two years in a row and he’s only a junior, so conventional wisdom says there are still more good things to come from this young man.
D’Angelo shot an 83 Wednesday for a two-day total of 162, good for an eighth-place tie.
“We have sent an individual four years in a row (to state), but Dan is the first to qualify twice,” noted STHS golf coach Mike Patterson. “It is very tough to get to the state tournament and it was a really tough day. It was a windy, cold and pretty miserable day to play golf, even though we should be used to that with the spring we’ve had. Dan did a good job of keeping it together in those conditions and we are really proud of him.”
“It feels great to know that I made it twice,” D’Angelo said. “It was tough to keep my head in it, but you just have to play every hole, hole by hole. I had a couple of really bad numbers and you have to turn that around and make par.”
Recommended Stories For You
The state tournament is May 13-14 at Red Hawk Golf Club in Sparks.
For the regional tournament, STHS’s Hunter Harris finished with an 89 for the day, giving him a two-day total of 174 and leaving him tied for 30th. Alex Yure shot an 87 for a total of 168 and tied for 21st. Andrew Wysong shot an 87 for a total of 174 and tied for 30th.
Galena won the team title, Reed was second and McQueen was third.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely