STHS golfers in regional top 20
May 7, 2003
At least two South Tahoe High golfers have a shot at advancing to the state tournament following the first round of the Northern Nevada 4A regional tournament Tuesday at Dayton Valley Country Club.
Dan D’Angelo shot a 79, good for 11th place in the tourney standings, while Alex Yure shot an 81 to take the 18th spot.
The Vikings’ Hunter Harris shot an 85 for 32nd place and Andrew Wysong shot an 87 for 37th place.
Realistically, D’Angelo and Yure could both make the state tournament, but nothing is decided yet. The Vikings will play another 18-hole round today, deciding who goes to state.
D’Angelo made the state tournament last year as a sophomore.
“We have had an individual make state tourney each of the past three years,” said STHS golf coach Mike Patterson.
Recommended Stories For You
The tournament is structured for both teams and individuals. South Tahoe did not send a team, but qualified four individuals.
“There are going to be three teams that qualify out of the eight teams,” Patterson explained. “Once those are determined, the 40 kids who are left are playing for five individual spots. If it were over today, both D’Angelo and Yure would have qualified. They are both in a great position tomorrow, but it’s really a fluid thing because if one team has a couple of individuals play well but not the entire team, they are going to get those (five individual) spots.
“It’s really hard to even look at it after one day because two teams are tied for that third spot and we don’t know which teams are going to go,” he added.
The only team with a lock on a spot at this point is Galena, which won all six Nevada Cup (conference) matches.
“They should contend for state because they are really solid,” Patterson added.
All players will tee off from the first hole in today’s portion of the tourney, with reverse order so those who shot the highest score Tuesday will tee off first today.
The following are tee times for South Tahoe golfers:
Wysong – 11:48 a.m.
Harris – 11:56 a.m.
Yure – 12:20 p.m.
D’Angelo – 12:36 p.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely