STHS Nordic team finishes third in state
March 3, 2003
The South Tahoe High School Nordic ski team closed out its season at the state meet at Auburn Ski Club March 1 and as has come to be expected boys’ varsity teammates Greg Koeck and Tyler Rieger finished side-by-side in the standings.
For boys’ varsity, Koeck was 12th with a time of 29 minutes, 10 seconds and Rieger finished 13th at 29:29.5. This is the fourth meet the two have placed together and in the top 15. Their efforts helped the Vikings finish third as a team.
Tahoe Truckee High School’s Matt Gelso finished first with a time of 23:51, followed by North Tahoe’s Dominic Henriques in second with 23:52.5 and Phillip Violett of Sugar Bowl Academy was third with a time of 23:55.8.
Also for South Tahoe, Alex Sharp placed 20th at 31:40.7, Brian Kurek in 21st at 32:25.9, Chris De Tarr in 28th at 39:29.6 and Alex Matzinger in 29th at 42:44.8.
In boys’ junior varsity, South Tahoe teammates Jeff Meagher placed 13th with a time of 21:26.1 and Arnaldo Salcedo was 17th at 22:23.3.
For girls’ junior varsity, South Tahoe’s Heather Newman, the team’s only girl, placed 18th with a time of 33:12.1.
Recommended Stories For You
STHS coach Heather Van Dyke was pleased with the season, particularly the progress of Koeck and Rieger, who she says continually push each other to excel.
“They are really good competition for each other,” Van Dyke said. “I think Greg and Tyler will still push each other again next year.
“This year was a rebuilding season for us,” she added. “For instance, we didn’t have any seniors, and usually teams have a senior leader. I think it was a great season to lead into next year, when we can recruit more people and get stronger as we go. Our strongest season will be next year.”
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe