STHS posts season-opening victory over Galena
August 31, 2005
The South Tahoe High Vikings overcame a sluggish performance to post a 2-0 nonleague victory over Galena in the season opener for both teams on Wednesday in Reno.
In the 32nd minute, Ernesto Mosqueda fed a ball on a set play to Ian Chandler, who slid a shot past the keeper for a 1-0 Viking lead. Then 17 minutes into the second half, Jamie Estrada played a through ball for Erick Sandoval, who ran onto it and scored the game’s final goal.
“It was a win and we’re going to move on from here,” said coach Chris DeLeon. “We didn’t really play our game today. I don’t know if it was the bus ride, playing on the road or what. But we kind of struggled out there.”
Alfredo Solorio got the shutout in goal for South Tahoe (1-0), which hosts Fallon on Wednesday at South Tahoe Middle School.
In the JV game, Omar Navarro scored two goals and three other Vikings scored in a 5-0 win over Galena in Reno. Chino Garcia, Chase Hart and Bryan Walker each added goals in the shutout victory.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar