STHS track team sends athletes to regional finals
May 5, 2003
Despite one key absence, the South Tahoe High track team performed well at Northern Nevada 4A league regional trials Friday and Saturday in Reno.
Top boys’ distance runner Hudson Wilvers made the regional finals in the 1,600 and 800 meet, but top girls’ sprinter Karen Dalmacio did not attend the meet for the Vikings.
Wilvers placed second in the 1,600 with a time of four minutes, 27 seconds and fourth in the 800 at 2:02.26.
The boys’ 4×100 relay team also made the regional finals, which are scheduled for May 10 in Reno. That team consists of Grant Swinney, Kevin Capellino, Jason Todd and Mikey VanGorden. They placed eighth at 45.27.
On the girls’ side, Jackie Marshall advanced to the finals in the 200 with a seventh-place finish and a time of 27.39 and the 4×400 relay team of Heather Newman, Megan Hillyard, Ellen Gallanty and Marshall also advanced, finishing seventh at 4:27.
Dalmacio is a member of the 4×400 team but missed regionals to attend an orientation for the California state beauty pageant, after winning Miss Lake Tahoe. Berry said Dalmacio will attend regional finals and run for the team.
Recommended Stories For You
“You can have six people on your relay card with two alternates,” Berry said. “She will run it. The girls know that whoever is the fastest (in practice) will run next week (and) Karen is the top 400 runner on the team.”
For individuals, Swinney just missed advancing to the finals in the 100, placing ninth. The top eight finishers advance.
Chris Cosmi also missed advancing in the 800 by only half a second.
The team is hoping for a good showing at the regional finals in order to advance the state meet May 15-17 in Las Vegas.
“I think we had a great (regular) season,” Berry said. “In a sense, this was a building season because we have quite a few freshmen and sophomores. We did well and I expect to continue that and to get better every year. I expect the boys’ sprinters to be phenomenal next year.”
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe