STMS girls b-ball beats Carson Valley in double overtime
October 9, 2014
The South Tahoe Middle School eighth grade girls basketball team notched its second victory of the season on Thursday, Oct. 2 — and did so in dramatic fashion. The Timberwolves edged Carson Valley 43-41 in double overtime.
South Tahoe and Carson Valley couldn't be separated after four quarters or a first overtime period — the game was tied at 29 after regulation and was 35-35 following overtime. Neither team led by more than four points in a contest that was close throughout.
Asia Smith had a game-high 18 points for South Tahoe, including 10-of-20 shooting from the free-throw line. Charlotte Babbitt added eight points and Mirella Roberts had five, including a clutch free throw coming off the bench for an injured teammate. Layne Hembree and Hailey Naccarato had four points apiece, while Jordan Malcus and Malorie Neiger each added two.
The Timberwolves' season came to an end the following Tuesday with a 23-13 loss at Alder Creek. Needing a win to secure a berth in the postseason tournament, South Tahoe was outscored by the Cougars 9-2 in the fourth quarter of the 10-point loss.
"These girls have improved by leaps and bounds since last season and they have a bright future ahead of them," Timberwolves head coach Mike Neiger said.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely