Tahoe Ice boys soccer team travels to Davis for tourney May 24-25
May 22, 2003
The Tahoe Ice, an AYSO select, under-10 boys’ soccer team from the South Shore, has won two key tournaments this season and is gearing up for another this weekend.
The Tahoe Ice won the Comstock Tournament April 12-13 in Carson City and also won a tourney in Vallejo in February.
One of the team’s organizers, Francis Caro, said the team practices at the South Tahoe Middle School gymnasium due to a lack of field space in the area.
The team, which competes in the Toiyabe League, will travel to a Davis tournament May 24-25.
“We’ve won every game (six) so far in the league,” Caro said. “This is our first year together and we have some really young players on the team. For the most part, everyone is having a wonderful time.”
The Toiyabe League includes teams from Mammoth, Davis, Concord and Bishop.
Recommended Stories For You
Caro said the Tahoe Ice will “go club” in the fall, which at an under-11 classification, means that some players will be left behind.
“We have a lot of young players who can’t go because of age — their birthdays can’t be after August 1992,” she said.
In the Comstock tournament in April, the weather was exceptionally cold for soccer.
“Everyone had ski wear on,” Caro said. “We made the semifinals, but there were three teams that tied in the semis so we had to have a shootout between three teams. Our goalie blocked most of them so we ended up going to the championships, which we won (4-3 in overtime).”
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe