United U-12s continue hot streak
June 24, 2008
The Tahoe United Under-12 boys’ soccer team placed first last weekend at the Come Up for Air Tournament in South Lake Tahoe, the third time this spring/summer that the youth team has either won a tournament or been a runner-up.
Coached by Rob and Sonia Rupp, United went undefeated en route to winning the Rogue Valley Soccer Cup over Memorial Day weekend in Medord, Ore., and it also placed second in June at the Capital Classic in Carson City.
In six tournaments this year, Tahoe won four of them, including South Shore’s Come Up for Air Tournament. During the regular season, United won the Reno-based Great Basin Youth Soccer League with a record of 7-0-1.
Another local team has been tearing up the club scene, and that is the Tahoe Altitude girls’ team. Made up of mostly 14- and 15-year-olds who are members of the South Tahoe JV team, Tahoe plays in the Under-19 division and still finds a way to excel.
Altitude won the Concord Cup in the Bay Area, the Capital Classic in Carson City and the Washoe Zephyr tournament in Reno. Tahoe also had runner-up finishes in the Come Up for Air Tournament in South Lake Tahoe and the Comstock Shootout in Carson City.
Shelbi Spicer and Cassandra Diaz lead the team in goals, while Karli Vath leads in assists. The team is coached by Hugo Lizaoloa, Bill Spicer and Clint Lockhart.
Recommended Stories For You
In other youth soccer news, Elements United Under-11 girls’ soccer team, which was playing in the U-12 division, placed third at the Come Up for Air Tournament. Elements are members of the Sierra Tahoe Soccer Club and have players from Incline Village, Carson Valley and South Shore.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Lake Tahoe School excels at track, field league championships
- Susie Lake: 8 miles of bliss in Desolation Wilderness
- Forest Service: Spread the word on Leave No Trace ethics in Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Nevada Highway Patrol searching for driver in hit-and-run at Crystal Bay