South Tahoe boys’ soccer snares No. 4 seed in playoffs
November 1, 2017
The South Tahoe Vikings boys' soccer team won two of its last three games of the regular season and earned the No. 4 seed in the 3A Northern Region playoffs.
The Vikings finished the season Saturday, Oct. 28, with a 2-0 loss to league champion North Tahoe at South Tahoe after squashing Churchill 8-1 a couple of days before.
Armando Rosales recorded a hat trick to lead the Vikings past the Greenwave.
"Making playoffs is a step toward our ultimate goal of winning a state championship," said Vikings head coach Leon Abravanel.
The Vikings (7-6-3 3A Northern League) have had a roller-coaster season, with lots of ups and downs. But the team has come together in time for postseason having gone 4-2-1 in their last seven games.
"Our staff is very proud of our players as well as everyone that has supported the program thus far," Abravanel said. "We have learned a lot about how to get results as well as how to support each other through thick and thin."
Recommended Stories For You
The Vikings will open postseason against Fernley (10-0-2), the 2A Northern League champs, at 3 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 2, in Winnemucca, Nevada. Should the Vikings advance, they will play the winner of Truckee and Yerington. South Tahoe lost to Truckee (1-0) once and tied (3-3) in the last meeting.
"We are perfectly positioned to make a strong playoff run," Abravanel said. "We are counting on the community support and are excited about the postseason."
Trending In: Sports
- South Lake Tahoe’s Jamie Anderson named to 2018-19 US Snowboard Team
- Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar ski resorts announce 2018-19 opening dates
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- South Tahoe volleyball fights back, but falls in state semifinals
- Heavenly, Northstar push back opening days to Nov. 23; Kirkwood to announce new date
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe