Viking girls take Tahoe Basin League lead
February 17, 2003
South Tahoe High prep skiing is nearing the end of another season and both Alpine and Nordic events were held this week.
The South Tahoe High School girls’ Alpine team finished first in the giant slalom Thursday at Alpine Meadows, but the combined team had to settle for a close second to North Tahoe.
North Tahoe won the event as a team with a score of 344, followed by South Tahoe at 336, Tahoe Truckee in third with 313, Whittell in fourth with 252 and Douglas in last place with 172 total points. The South Tahoe girls’ team moved into first place overall with its first-place finish. The girls had 173 points to beat out Tahoe Truckee, which had 170. The North Tahoe girls’ team was third with 163 points.
For the girls, South Tahoe’s Kendall Northrop finished second with a combined time of 54.68 seconds, just behind North Tahoe’s Michelle Parker at 53.96. South Tahoe’s Kristin Royce was fourth with 57.82 and Grace Harding in sixth with 58.20.
For the South Tahoe boys’ team, Kyle Kracht enjoyed an overall top finish with a combined time of 50.39 to beat out North Tahoe’s Joel Sharbrough, who had 50.72. North Tahoe’s Travis Ganong was third with 50.94 to round out a very close top three.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe’s P.J. Bacon finished in fifth place with a time of 52.32.
Overall on the season, South Tahoe’s team is in second place in the division behind North Tahoe. Tahoe Truckee is in third place.
South Tahoe’s Nordic ski team traveled to Northstar on Feb. 7 for a divisional meet.
For the varsity boys’ team, Greg Koeck finished in seventh place with a time of 20 minutes,19.15 seconds, followed by South Tahoe teammate Tyler Reiger in eighth with 20:26.43. Alex Sharp came in 17th place with 22:43.36, Chris DeTarr in 19th at 24:49.48 and Alex Matzinger in 21st place with a time of 30:41.83.
South Tahoe had no varsity girls competing at Northstar.
The nordic team is now practicing at the top of the Heavenly Gondola and competed Friday at Kirkwood today before advancing to the state meet March 1 at Auburn Ski Club.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Candidate Q&A: Kenny Curtzwiler for El Dorado County Supervisor