Vikings boys and girls swimmers beat Lowry
May 5, 2003
The South Tahoe High swimming team claimed wins over Lowry in both boys’ and girls’ competition at Northwest Pool Saturday with scores of 169-68 and 181-96 in the last dual meets of the regular season.
“A lot of our boys got more regional qualifying times. They did fantastic,” said STHS swim coach Dale Bogard. “Some of the girls were really close. They swam their hearts out.”
Earning regional qualifying times at the meet for South Tahoe were Jason Schmedes, Sean Nelson, Brian Collins, Ansel Robinson, Devin Blann, Travis Travis, Tim Powers, Zack Powers, Jorie Turner and Natalie Turner.
Swimmers of the meet, as noted by Bogard, were Laurel Morrow with a personal best in all her events, fourth place in the 100 freestyle and fifth in the 100 backstroke; Sierra Shipley with a fifth place in the 50 free and eighth in the 100 free; Erik Gallanty with a first in the 500 free and fourth in the 50 free and Blann with a first in the 100 backstroke and second in the 100 fly.
STHS will take 13 boys and eight girls to the Northern Nevada 4A regionals at the University of Nevada-Reno Lombardi Pool.
Time trials begin Friday at 1 p.m. and finals and relays are Saturday.
Recommended Stories For You
“It was a good season,” Bogard said. “I’ve never had 13 boys qualify for regionals. (Also) some of the kids who just learned how to swim this year did a great job.”
The regional team includes Melissa Anstett, Lindsey Best, Ashley Bratton, Tiffany Carter, Bailey Flood, Caitlin Robinson, Jorie Turner, Natalie Turner, Brian Collins, Blann, Andrew Contreras, Gallanty, Nelson, Tim Powers, Zack Powers, Ansel Robinson, Schmedes, Jordan Sharpe, Josh Staff, Kyle Sullivan and Travis.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- Tips for a safe and fun kayaking trip on Lake Tahoe
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Council: More feedback needed before changes to South Lake Tahoe food truck regs