Vikings lose to Dayton in 7th inning
April 17, 2014
South Tahoe High School baseball lost a 14-13 game to Dayton on Tuesday.
The Vikings scored seven runs in the seventh inning to take a 13-12 lead then a couple of defensive errors allowed Dayton to score two more for the win.
"Defensively, we did not play our best game, but the kids never gave up," said head coach Starbuck Teevan.
Spencer Harnett started on the mound and went one inning before being replaced by Garret Harley. Harley struck out four, he gave up two walks. Harley pitched four innings when Sergio Burgueno came in for one inning and Liam Loftis finished the game, taking the loss.
Offensively, Dominic Diana hit a two-run home run in the first inning for South Tahoe to take a 3-0 lead. In the seventh inning, River Quinn hit a two-run RBI single to, again, take a lead.
"That was a clutch hit for us," Teevan said.
Recommended Stories For You
Diana went 2-for-4 in the game and Quinn went 2-for-5. Harley was 3-for-4 with a double and RBI and Kolby Eymann was 1-for-2.
"We struggled on offense all day," Teevan said.
On Friday, South Tahoe travels to Fernley for a three game series.
"We need to win another series and we're looking forward to (playing Fernley)," Teevan said.
The loss brings the Vikings to 10-3 in league and 11-7 overall.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe boys’ soccer latest to fall against 3A newcomer North Valleys
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Whittell gridders excited for home game, field dedication
- South Tahoe football stays positive, hosts Fallon Friday night
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations
- Authorities recover body from 1,062 feet in Lake Tahoe (updated)
- What lies in the depths of Lake Tahoe’s waters? (video)
- Whittell celebrates Lisa Maloff, football team crushes Smith Valley at new digs
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe