Vikings trounce Reno in division opener
September 14, 2005
Rafael Aguirre scored two goals and assisted on another as South Tahoe High rolled to a 5-0 victory over Reno in the Vikings’ Sierra Division opener on Wednesday at South Tahoe Middle School.
South Tahoe (4-0 overall, 1-0 division) also got goals from Jamie Estrada, Alex Hand and Ernesto Mosqueda en route to its fourth shutout of the season. The Vikings have outscored their opponents 15-0 this season.
South Tahoe led 3-0 at halftime, aided by Estrada’s goal in 16th minute off an assist from Milton Montoya. Ian Chandler assisted on the next two goals. The first was scored by Aguirre and the second by Hand off a nice header.
Early in the second half, Aguirre set up the next goal for Mosqueda, then scored the final goal with a long-range blast from 25 yards out.
The Vikings play another division game at Wooster on Saturday in Reno before two key division games next week against Carson and Douglas.
“It took us a while before we could pick up our game again,” STHS coach Chris DeLeon said. “Reno is a pretty physical team, but I think the difference was we were in better shape than them.”
Trending In: Sports
- Vikings baseball off to hot start, sweeps North Valleys
- Incline star Redfern sweeps MVP awards, freshman Stranzl earns top honors
- South Tahoe’s Griffis signs to play football for Presentation College
- State Champs! Incline Village prevails over The Meadows School in Las Vegas
- Champion Highlanders clean up with state, league basketball awards