Wallace beats two-time state champion
March 7, 2003
The South Tahoe Wrestling Club kicked off the freestyle tournament season with a very good showing in Dayton.
The club brought home three gold and three bronze medals. Miles Wallace took first place at 160 pounds with a hard-fought overtime win over two- time Nevada state champion Steven Skrok.
In an earlier match, Wallace scored what most thought was the fastest pin of the day at 26 seconds, only to be bested by his younger brother Chris Little a few matches later.
Little took home a bronze medal and performed one of his two pins of the day in only 19 seconds. Not to be out done, the club’s best 100-pound wrestler, Zack Vereschagin, soon put his own mark on the tournament with the fastest pin of the day and perhaps the season.
Vereschagin pinned one opponent in less than 10 seconds. He went on to dominate the class with straight wins by pins and a well-earned first place gold medal.
Cody Reeder, 153 pounds, also impressed the crowd with three straight pins, including a dramatic come-from-behind reversal in the title match that earned him his first gold medal of the season. Rafael Gutierrez took home a bronze medal. Rafael has been a consistent medal winner all year. Andrew Lunbaum also wrestled his way to a bronze, completing a six-for-six medal day.
Recommended Stories For You
The club will be hosting a Greco Roman and freestyle tournament on Sunday at the South Tahoe High School.
For more information, call Tami Wallace at (530) 544-1264 or Dr. David Borges at (530) 544-5800.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union