Wallace’s goal leads Vikings over Fallon
October 15, 2008
A late goal by Kyle Wallace lifted the South Tahoe High boys’ soccer team to a 4-3 Sierra League win over Fallon on Wednesday at the Edward Arciniega Athletic Complex in Fallon.
Wallace’s goal in the 73rd minute lifted the Vikings to a season sweep over the Wave. It was his second goal of the match as he also scored the opening goal in the eighth minute.
The loss dropped the Greenwave to 5-11 overall and 2-9 in the league, while the Vikings improved to 5-11-1 overall and 4-7 in league.
“It was a strong game from both teams,” said South Tahoe coach Chris DeLeon. “Fallon is always a thorn in our side. They always fight hard. It was a real tough, physical game. Both teams played with composure, and Fallon came back and put us on our heels.”
South Tahoe increased its lead to 2-0 in the 10th minute when Omar Navarro scored. But before halftime arrived, the Vikings’ lead was gone.
Fallon cut the margin in half on a goal by Alfredo Gonzalez with 14th minute, then back-to-back goals by Sam Ugalde gave the Greenwave a 3-2 lead heading into the break.
Recommended Stories For You
The Greenwave held onto the lead for most of the second half before the Vikings pulled even. In the 55th minute, Tamiru Jones was called for an elbow in front of the Fallon goal that resulted in a penalty kick for the Vikings.
Goalie Adam Ganzalaz blocked the kick to preserve the lead, but Fallon’s luck ran out in the 60th minute, when Evan Sanchez scored the tying goal.
“The first two goals by us were really good,” DeLeon said, “But the last two goals were desperate, pushing people up. We did a little better controlling the game a little bit in the second half.”
Fallon suffered its third loss in a row and 11th in its last 13 outings.
“It was a tough match, and another heartbreaker for Fallon,” Greenwave coach Brian Sutherland said. “We dominated the game, but we couldn’t get the opportunity to score.
“We played exceptionally well today. We’re just going to grind on.”
South Tahoe hosts Douglas on Saturday at 11 a.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe