Warrior golfers third at state
May 20, 2003
Home-court and home-field advantages figure into outcomes in basketball and football. Whittell learned in the Nevada 2A state golf tournament that there is something to be said about a home-course edge.
The Warriors, playing Boulder Creek Golf Course in Boulder City for the first time, finished third out of six teams in the championships. The Meadows and Needles, teams very familiar with the layout, came in first and second, respectively.
“I think it mattered,” said WHS coach Steve Maltase. “Two years ago we hosted it at Edgewood and we won by 54 strokes. Last year, it was at a neutral site in Jackpot and Meadows won by (only) four.”
Team scores for the 36-hole two-day event were The Meadows 796, Needles 818 and Whittell 838. Hawthorne finished fifth and Incline came in sixth.
Senior Patrick Flanagan, the first-day leader by three strokes after a 73, wound up in a tie for fourth after firing a 79 on his second 18.
The Northern Nevada 2A champions had one other player crack the top 10. Senior Parker Fox played consistent rounds of 81 and 79 to finish eighth.
Recommended Stories For You
Whittell’s Bryan Jones shot 85 both days, Michael Flanagan 90-85, Cody Harrington 95-83 and Scott Lusby 96-89.
Kaylor Remington of Needles shot a final-round 72 to win the invididual title with a 148 total.
The Warriors have finished first, second and most recently third in the past three state tournaments.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Tips for a safe and fun kayaking trip on Lake Tahoe
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe