Warriors clinch second seed
May 5, 2003
Whittell High closed out the regular season with strong pitching efforts in a Northern Nevada 2A baseball doubleheader Saturday in Hawthorne.
Travis Purdy pitched a five-hitter and struck out six in the Warriors’ 8-4 victory in game one. In game two, Tyson Frederick fired a two-hitter and fanned seven over six innings, but the Serpents used an unearned run in the seventh to win 3-2.
The split enabled Whittell (8-4) to clinch second place in the final division standings. Incline also finished with an 8-4 record, but Whittell won the tiebreaker by virtue of beating the Highlanders twice.
As a result, Whittell will open the eight-team division tournament against West Wendover at 4:30 p.m. Thursday in Battle Mountain.
“I like my bracket,” said Whittell manager Don Amaral, who is taking the Warriors to their fourth straight zone tournament.
White Pine and Hawthorne are also in the Warriors’ half of the bracket.
Recommended Stories For You
Whittell had 13 hits in the opener, including two by Ian Jaobsen, Jake Summers, Klye Olsen, Chris Pavich and Joey Byne.
Tyler Corey led the Warriors’ six-hit attack with a two-run homer in game two.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely