Warriors football pulls off another shutout
October 5, 2008
David Atherton can’t remember the last time the Whittell High football team shut out opponents back-to-back.
The first-year Whittell head coach knows it didn’t happen when he played for the Warriors back in the 1990s.
Whittell didn’t allow Silver Stage’s offense to advance any closer than 30 yards from the end zone on Saturday during a 49-0 Northern 2A League win in Silver Springs.
“It has to be a long time,” Atherton said of the consecutive shutouts. “Coach (Nick) Samaras is all over this defense, and he’s doing a great job.”
Atherton wasn’t pleased with his team’s play in a first half that ended with the Warriors ahead 21-0.
“I didn’t need to say it. The kids really felt that way,” Atherton said. “In the second half, the kids went nuts. It was the best half they’ve played all year.”
Recommended Stories For You
Ian Allen caught a pair of touchdown passes from quarterback Roberto Concha-Foley. Concha-Foley also passed to Rio DeLucia for a touchdown and ran one in himself.
“To get Ian Allen going, that was the most successful part of the game. That’ll be important come playoffs.”
Cody Nelson led the ground game with a 25-yard score. But Atherton couldn’t stop raving about Nelson’s physical play at linebacker.
“He was hitting and leveling kids,” Atherton said. “We had a big hit every couple of plays, and it was Cody Nelson. He just stuck out. Pound for pound, he is our best hitter.”
Whittell (3-2) takes a two-game winning streak to North Tahoe on Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain, thunderstorms, warmer temperatures in forecast