Warriors have an extra club in the bag — senior leadership
March 7, 2003
How do you replace a two-time all-state player and former state runner-up like Ryan Salomon?
You don’t. But at least the Whittell High golf team has three well-seasoned seniors to lead them into the 2003 season.
“I think we have a shot at making a run,” said Whittell third-year coach Steve Maltase. “It’s going to be really important to find two to three guys to step up this year to fill in for Ryan and Cary White.”
The top returner is senior Patrick Flanagan, who was the Warriors’ most reliable big tournament player last year. Flanagan won the 2002 Northern 2A regional title at Silver Oak Golf Course in Carson City and then tied Salomon for third place at the 36-hole state tournament in Jackpot.
Flanagan led the Warriors and was second overall with an 82 in the team’s season-open event Monday at Genoa Lakes.
Seniors Parker Fox and Brian Jones are no strangers to big tournament golf either. Both were members of the Warriors’ state championship team in 2001 and state runner-up last year.
Recommended Stories For You
“It’s going to come down to consistency,” Maltase said. “They are going to have to shoot in the 70s and Brian is going to have to step it up a notch.”
Sophomore Michael Flanagan gained crucial varsity experience last year and freshman Cody Harrington showed promise in the season opener by shooting a 91.
” Cody shot a 39 on the back nine after shooting a jittery 52 on the front,” Maltase said.
Competing for the all-important fifth spot are soccer star Nestor Flores, junior Devin Farnsworth, junior Jay Tuttle and freshman Tim Lipovsky.
Golf is becoming more popular with Whittell students, forcing Maltase to make cuts for the first time. Nineteen players tried out, but only six will play on a regular basis.
Whittell’s next match is today at Mason Valley Golf Course in Yerington.
Whittell’s golf schedule
3/13 Dayton Valley
4/10 Genoa Lakes
4/17 Silver Oak
5/2 Edgewood Tahoe
5/8 Zone (W. Wendover)
5/15-16 State (Las Vegas)
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line