Warriors move into second place
May 2, 2003
Whittell High’s baseball team took an important step toward earning the Northern Nevada 2A Division’s No. 2 playoff seed Thursday.
The Warriors (7-3 division, 17-6 overall) thumped rival Incline 17-3 to take over second place in the division standings.
Whittell must split a doubleheader at Hawthorne on Saturday to clinch second.
Sophomore Chris Shapiro pitched four shutout innings and struck out eight. He worked five innings, giving up four hits and three runs.
“It was great stuff from a 15-year-old,” said Whittell skipper Don Amaral. “He had a good fastball and they couldn’t catch up to it all day.”
The teams were scoreless through two innings, but Whittell erupted for seven runs in the third inning.
Recommended Stories For You
After Incline trimmed the lead to 9-3 in the fifth, Whittell put the game away with an eight-run sixth inning. Five hit batsmen and only two hits led to eight runs.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line