Warriors run away with golf title
May 12, 2003
There were a lot of firsts for the Whittell High golf team Friday in West Wendover. When they were summed up at the end of the day, the Warriors had their third consecutive Northern Nevada 2A regional title.
Parker Fox won his first prep tournament title, firing a 1-over-par 73 to lead Whittell to a sweep of the top four spots. at Toana Vista Golf Course. Another first was sophomore Michael Flanagan shooting an 82. Flanagan finished fourth after averaging 96 for the season.
“We had six guys in the top 11. That’s an incredible performance by these guys,” said WHS coach Steve Maltase. “They’ve put in a lot of hard work and they deserve to win the (state) trophy.
Whittell with a 398 total was 52 strokes better than runner-up Hawthorne. Incline was third at 459 in the eight-team tournament.
Fox is the third Warrior in a row to win the zone title.
“He shot a 34 on the back nine. He really didn’t want to be denied his first championship win,” Maltase said.
Recommended Stories For You
Senior Brian Jones was second at 78, senior Patrick Flanagan third at 80 and Michael Flanagan fourth at 82.
“We call him ‘Little Flannie,” and he was the happiest kid I’ve seen after he came in with the 82,” Maltase said. “He saved his best for the state tournament last year, shooting a career-best 86. I just hope he can keep it up.”
Rounding out Whittell’s third successive tournament with the entire team breaking 90 were freshman Cody Harrington in eighth with 85 and sophomore Scott Lusby 11th at 89.
Whittell will shoot for its second state title in three years Wednesday and Thursday at Boulder Creek Golf Course in Boulder City. In addition to the Warriors, the state tournament field will include Hawthorne, Incline, defending champion Meadows, Needles and Faith Lutheran.
“We’d love to go down there and come back with the title. We felt we should have won last year and we came up a little short,” Maltase said.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe sends nearly a dozen swimmers to state meet
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Candidate Q&A: Kenny Curtzwiler for El Dorado County Supervisor