Warriors’ scrimmage with Vikes called off
August 2, 2004
A football passing scrimmage between South Tahoe High and Whittell High was canceled Monday after South Tahoe coaches raised doubts about possible off-season rules violations.
The two teams held voluntary conditioning and skill drills across the field from each other at South Tahoe High, but the scrimmage cancellation kept the Whittell players from getting their first taste of competitive football in two years. The Whittell program is returning from a year off due to lack of players.
The first official day of football practice for both schools is Aug. 12, with other sports starting on Aug. 16. South Tahoe will have an athletic clearance day on Aug. 9 to verify academic eligibility and medical clearance for fall athletes.
Whittell will hold a three-way scrimmage against Hawthorne High and Silver Stage High on Aug. 28, with a spaghetti feed for all three teams afterward.
Free exams today for STHS athletes
Recommended Stories For You
Tahoe Family Physicians will provide free physicals to South Tahoe High athletes today beginning at 5 p.m.
Students must have a physical verified in order to try out for STHS teams. Physicals are valid for four years.
Tahoe Family Physicians is located at 1090 Third St.
Bruso’s record drops to 0-4
Restarting his minor league baseball career with the High Desert Mavericks hasn’t been kind to Grego Bruso’s win-loss record.
Bruso lost for the four time on Sunday since recovering from a preseason shoulder injury.
As has been the case in several of his starts with the last-place Mavericks, Bruso pitched well enough to win but received little offensive support. He gave five hits and two earned runs in five innings of a 10-2 California League defeat to Rancho Cucamonga. Bruso (0-4) struck out two and walked two.
The Quakes used a homer by Ryan Budde in the third inning to build a 2-0 lead against Bruso, but Bruso held them scoreless over the next two innings and left with a 2-1 deficit.
Rancho Cucamonga broke open the game the next inning, scoring three times and secured the win with a four-run ninth.
In his previous inning, Bruso lasted 4 2/3 innings, surrendering 1- hits and four earned runs in a 7-2 loss to Inland Empire.
Bruso has a 6.33 earned run average.
Trending In: Sports
- Sierra-at-Tahoe 2018-19 season passes available for purchase
- Diamond Peak Ski Resort kicks off early bird 2018-19 season pass sale
- Heavenly’s backcountry requires common sense, not cell phones
- First person to swim length of Lake Tahoe reflects back on 1955 feat
- 13 STMS wrestlers headed to Tah-Neva Championships
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Couple to get $2.5M after police called abduction by Lake Tahoe lawyer a hoax
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts report over 4 feet of snow in 48 hours
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3 feet of snow at some ski resorts; another 1-3 feet of snow possible