Warriors’ scrimmage with Vikes called off
August 2, 2004
A football passing scrimmage between South Tahoe High and Whittell High was canceled Monday after South Tahoe coaches raised doubts about possible off-season rules violations.
The two teams held voluntary conditioning and skill drills across the field from each other at South Tahoe High, but the scrimmage cancellation kept the Whittell players from getting their first taste of competitive football in two years. The Whittell program is returning from a year off due to lack of players.
The first official day of football practice for both schools is Aug. 12, with other sports starting on Aug. 16. South Tahoe will have an athletic clearance day on Aug. 9 to verify academic eligibility and medical clearance for fall athletes.
Whittell will hold a three-way scrimmage against Hawthorne High and Silver Stage High on Aug. 28, with a spaghetti feed for all three teams afterward.
Free exams today for STHS athletes
Recommended Stories For You
Tahoe Family Physicians will provide free physicals to South Tahoe High athletes today beginning at 5 p.m.
Students must have a physical verified in order to try out for STHS teams. Physicals are valid for four years.
Tahoe Family Physicians is located at 1090 Third St.
Bruso’s record drops to 0-4
Restarting his minor league baseball career with the High Desert Mavericks hasn’t been kind to Grego Bruso’s win-loss record.
Bruso lost for the four time on Sunday since recovering from a preseason shoulder injury.
As has been the case in several of his starts with the last-place Mavericks, Bruso pitched well enough to win but received little offensive support. He gave five hits and two earned runs in five innings of a 10-2 California League defeat to Rancho Cucamonga. Bruso (0-4) struck out two and walked two.
The Quakes used a homer by Ryan Budde in the third inning to build a 2-0 lead against Bruso, but Bruso held them scoreless over the next two innings and left with a 2-1 deficit.
Rancho Cucamonga broke open the game the next inning, scoring three times and secured the win with a four-run ninth.
In his previous inning, Bruso lasted 4 2/3 innings, surrendering 1- hits and four earned runs in a 7-2 loss to Inland Empire.
Bruso has a 6.33 earned run average.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings golfers set personal bests, earn highest finish in years
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Incline football gives strong effort, but overrun by Pershing County
- Preps roundup: Viking volleyers win 2 of 3; Buchholz sets personal best
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement (updated)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- El Dorado County supervisor candidates find some common ground on VHR regulations