Warriors sweep S.V.
December 3, 2003
By Jared Green
Tribune staff writer
Whittell 53, Smith Valley 42
The Warriors jumped ahead early and cruised to a win over Smith Valley on Wednesday night.
Whittell was led by Katrina Kacirek’s game-high 17 points, with four other Warriors scoring at least eight.
The Warriors led by as much as 20 points in the first half before head coach Nathan Tolbert went deep into his bench for the rest of the game.
Recommended Stories For You
“We came out and played hard at the start and we got way up,” Tolbert said. “We kind of ran out of gas at the end, but we were far enough ahead that I wasn’t worried.”
Whittell 58, Smith Valley 54
The Whittell boys overcame a 17-4 first-quarter deficit to beat Smith Valley on Wednesday night.
Four Warriors scored in double figures, led by Danny Shapiro’s 14 and brother Chris’ 11. Tommy Esquivel and Chris Craig each scored 10, while Kyle Olsen pulled down 10 rebounds.
Although Chris Shapiro was forced to the bench for most of the first half with three fouls, it was the brother act down the stretch for the Warriors. Danny put Whittell (3-5) up by two with a 3-pointer with two minutes remaining and Chris hit two key free throws with 10 seconds left to seal the win.
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe snowpack doubles in March — and more on the way
- Lake Tahoe weather: Another winter storm could bring several feet of snow in Sierra high country
- Update: No sign of missing Bear Valley skier
- El Dorado County Sheriff’s Office IDs bodies recovered from Fallen Leaf Lake
- Lake Tahoe weather: Winter storm warning, flood watch take effect Wednesday