Warriors trounce Lakers in season opener
November 27, 2005
Nathan Tolbert’s Whittell High girls’ basketball teams had never won a season opener.
His 2005 team emphatically changed that trend on Saturday afternoon with a 61-30 trouncing of North Tahoe in Zephyr Cove.
Junior Jessica Woods poured in 23 points, including 5 of 5 from the foul line, to lead four Warriors with nine or more points. Senior Katrina Kacirek chipped in 13 points and Kelly Karmann and Tara Scaduto added 12 and nine points, respectively.
Whittell overcame a slow start, which saw it lead 12-8 after one period. But the Warriors took control by halftime (28-14) and had a blowout (42-18) after three quarters.
“For a first game it was awesome, but we still have a ways to go,” Tolbert said. “I see so much potential for this team, and I know we’re gonna be so much better as the season goes along.”
Woods also had eight rebounds, two steals and two blocks.
Recommended Stories For You
Whittell (1-0) meets Truckee today in the In A Zone Tournament at Wooster High in Reno. Wooster, Hug, Fernley, Damonte Ranch, Sparks and Dayton are also entered in the three-day tournament. The Warriors’ only day off this week is Thursday. They’ll follow the Wooster tournament with a two-day tournament at Coleville on Friday and Saturday.
Trending In: Sports
- Lady Vikings golfers set personal bests, earn highest finish in years
- Incline football gives strong effort, but overrun by Pershing County
- No. 3-ranked LTCC girls soccer finishes preseason unbeaten, opens league play today
- Incline netters cruise to 3 league wins, stay unbeaten
- Lady Vikings soccer crushing league opponents
- DA: Former Lake Tahoe Humane Society director pleads guilty to embezzlement (updated)
- Traps reignite controversy over Nevada Department of Wildlife bear management
- Douglas County conducts online survey on vacation home rentals
- Ken’s Tires Center celebrates 40 years in South Lake Tahoe
- Incline Flume Trail at Lake Tahoe nears completion