Whittell falls in 1st place battle, bounces back with win
January 31, 2018
The Whittell Warriors boy's basketball team was defeated Friday, Jan. 26, by Mineral County in a battle for first place in the 1A Western League.
The Warriors made just over 30 percent of their shots en route to a 78-53 defeat in Zephyr Cove.
Whittell (19-3, 10-2 Western) bounced back the next afternoon with a 57-40 home victory over Pyramid Lake. The warriors are tied for second place with Sierra Lutheran (16-5, 10-2 Western) and one game behind Mineral County (17-5, 11-1 Western).
The Warriors have clinched a playoff berth with four games to play but would still love to at least share a league title and earn the highest seed possible. The top four finishers in the Western League qualify for postseason.
In the loss to Mineral, Corey Huber led the Warriors with 15 points and added eight steals and Isaiah Womack filled up the stat sheet with 11 points, seven steals, five rebounds and five assists.
Also for Whittell, Trent Dingman scored nine points, Genaro Mena added eight points, four steals and three assists, and Troy Libert hauled in five boards.
Recommended Stories For You
The Warriors shot 4 for 19 from beyond the arc, 15 of 41 from inside the arc and was 19 of 60 (32 percent) for the game.
The Warriors will play their last home game of the season at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 2, before finishing the season with three straight on the road starting with Smith Valley the next day.
Trending In: Sports
- Winter storm warning remains in effect at Lake Tahoe; 2 more feet of snow possible
- California Highway Patrol: Travel to Lake Tahoe is not recommended
- Lake Tahoe roads: Chain requirements in effect (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Winter storm warning extended; more snow likely at Lake Tahoe Sunday