Whittell girls soccer edges North Tahoe 2-1, clinches league title
October 24, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — For the second straight season, the Whittell girls soccer team has delivered a league championship. The Warriors beat North Tahoe 2-1 on the road Tuesday to secure a second consecutive Division III North League title.
Whittell (15-1, 13-0 III North) got goals from forwards Kenya Maltase and Ali Copsy in the victory; midfielders Kate Krolicki and Gigi Stetler each had assists. It was the Warriors' second one-goal win in their last four matches.
Freshman Taimani Hussey got the start for Whittell in goal and made six saves in the victory. The Warriors secured the outright league championship with one match left in the regular season — North Tahoe (7-5, 6-3) will finish in either third or fourth place.
Whittell concludes the regular season at home against Yerington on Wednesday at 6 p.m. The Warriors will host the NIAA Div. III state championships, which begin Friday, Nov. 7.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe