Whittell scores 47 runs in sweep of Hawthorne
April 24, 2005
The Whittell softball team enjoyed its biggest offensive outburst of the season on Saturday in Hawthorne, totaling 47 runs in a sweep of the Serpents in a Northern 2A doubleheader.
All seventeen Warriors recorded an at-bat in the second game, which Whittell won 30-20 in five innings. Behind the solid pitching of Austin Harrington, it won the first game 17-3 in five innings.
Harrington recorded four strikeouts and three walks in the first game, while Ariana Rodriguez, Abby Kingman and Courtney Fields each recorded multi-hit games. Megan Esquivel had a triple and Anna Kingman and Whitney Gielow each hit a double.
In the second game, Abby Kingman pitched the first two innings to record the win on the mound. The Warriors (9-14, 2-2) led 19-7 after the first three innings and coach Lindsay Wines inserted seven new players into the lineup.
Whittell had 18 hits and was led by Katie Komorowski, who went 4 for 4 with two doubles, and Stephanie Betts, who went 3 for 3 with a double. Tara Scaduto, Sasha Silver and Gielow each contributed two hits. Silver and Holly Connelly scored five runs apiece.
Recommended Stories For You
South Tahoe boys earn win over Cougars
The Vikings boys’ team won its third swim meet of the season on Friday with a 115-111 win over Spanish Springs at the Rec Center Pool. The girls lost 164-122.
Individual results will appear in Tuesday’s paper. South Tahoe’s last meet of the season is on Saturday against Galena at 9 a.m. at the Rec Center Pool.
Warriors pick up a pair of forfeit wins
A pair of forfeit victories on Saturday kept Whittell High a half game behind Northern 2A League baseball leader Lovelock.
Hawthorne was unable to field enough players and was forced to forfeit the twin bill to Whittell, which is 6-0 in the Northern 2A and 16-4 overall.
Meanwhile, Lovelock raised its league mark to 7-0 by sweeping Silver Stage 10-0 and 6-1.
The two teams will meet for a doubleheader May 6 at Lampe Park in Gardnerville.
South Tahoe baseball, softball lose to Panthers
The South Tahoe baseball team lost both games of its Sierra Division doubleheader to North Valleys on Saturday in Reno. The Vikings lost 7-1 in the first game and 11-5 in the second game. South Tahoe (7-17 overall, 1-14 division) plays at Truckee on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. and host Whittell in its home opener on Wednesday at Todd Fields.
The South Tahoe softball played its most competitive division games of the season on Saturday at North Valleys in Reno, but the Vikings lost 7-3 in the first game and 8-3 in the second.
No other details on either team were available at press time.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- Incline Village freshman Jenkins wins state Class 2A title in high jump
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Otomo helps Viking girls earn 4th at state swim meet
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- South Lake Tahoe police investigating robbery at credit union