Whittell softball wins two at JV tournament
April 9, 2015
GARDNERVILLE, Nev. — The Whittell softball team took the field against junior varsity teams from bigger Northern Nevada schools last weekend for a mid-season tune-up. The Warriors won two out of five games in the Nicole Snyder Memorial Tournament at Stodick Park, with wins over Wooster and Lowry.
Whittell opened tournament play with a 13-2 win over Wooster last Friday. In its second game of the day, the Warriors lost 16-1 to eventual champion Douglas (Minden, Nev.).
The Warriors led off the second day of the tournament with a 9-8 win over Lowry last Saturday. Whittell then dropped its next two games to finish 2-3 — a 12-1 loss to Reed (Sparks, Nev.) and a 9-4 defeat against McQueen (Reno, Nev.).
Kelsey Kjer threw nearly four games for Whittell in the tournament, with Madison Idso starting against Douglas. Kaitlyn Kjer also threw .2 innings, making her first appearance in the circle for the Warriors this season.
Because Whittell played against JV teams at last weekend's tournament, the results aren't included in its season record. The Warriors (7-7, 4-4 IV Northern) return to league action on the road Saturday, April 18 for a doubleheader against Carlin starting at 10 a.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- Tips for a safe and fun kayaking trip on Lake Tahoe
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Council: More feedback needed before changes to South Lake Tahoe food truck regs