Whittell takes fourth in Reno tournament
November 30, 2005
Jessica Woods continued her dominating ways on Wednesday, scoring 19 points and pulling down 11 rebounds as Whittell High beat Sparks 48-34 in the fourth-place game of the In A Zone Tournament at Hug in Reno.
Woods scored 28 points in the Warriors’ tournament win Tuesday over Wooster, which was their first win over 4A school in coach Nathan Tolbert’s tenure.
“I am leaving this tournament very satisifed,” Tolbert said. “The score (against Sparks) wasn’t even that close. We just ran and ran and ran until they had nothing left.”
Whittell (3-1) led 24-5 after the first quarter and 34-16 at halftime. Katrina Kacirek scored 10 points and had 13 rebounds for Whittell, while Kelly Karmann scored eight points and recorded a team-high 15 rebounds.
Tara Scaduto chipped in with nine points and Kendra Koskin had 10 rebounds for the Warriors, who will play this weekend in the Coleville tournament.
“I hope this tournament is a sign of things to come,” said Tolbert, whose team’s lone loss this season is to 3A Truckee. “I want this to be something we get used to doing, building up a big lead and then coasting.”
Recommended Stories For You
Viking Classic begins today
The South Tahoe boys’ basketball team will look to rebound from Tuesday’s loss to Spanish Springs tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the first round of the Rotary Viking Classic. The Vikings face Buhach Colony of Modesto in the final tournament game of the day.
Other first-round games today include Bradshaw Christian vs. Wooster at 1 p.m.; Bishop Manogue vs. Galt at 2:30 p.m.; St. Mary’s of Stockton vs. Soquel at 4 p.m.; and Weston Ranch of Stockton vs. El Caminto out of Sacramento at 6 p.m.
Tickets for adults are $5 and all kids under 18 will be admitted free of charge. For a complete schedule of the Viking Classic, see B4.
Trending In: Sports
- South Tahoe volleyball star Hedqvist to play for national team in fall
- North Shore tracksters enjoy success at National Junior Olympics
- Miller records ace at Incline Villageâ€™s Championship Course
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts transitioning into year-round recreation destinations
- Bodybuilders coming to Lake Tahoe for fitness competition at MontBleu
- Truck over side of Kingsbury Grade results in discovery of 2nd wreck
- Smoke free? Clear, sunny conditions in forecast for Lake Tahoe region
- New fitness center Gym Love opens in South Lake Tahoe
- South Lake Tahoe clears out homeless camps near Upper Truckee River
- Swimmer rescued after leg becomes stuck between boulders at Lake Tahoe