Whittell track athletes set some personal bests
March 24, 2003
The Whittell boys and girls track team failed to break the top 10 for team score at Saturday’s Fallon Elks Invitational, but several Warriors’ athletes set personal bests.
“We did have some great personal performances by everybody and several distance runners ran their best ever this weekend,” said Warriors head coach Jeremy Smith.
On the boys’ side, Oscar Suarez ran the mile in 4 minutes, 59.28 seconds for eighth place. He also ran the 3,200 in 11:03 for eighth place.
“That wasn’t his best, but it was close,” Smith said. “Eleven minutes is his best time and that came at sea level, so it’s great to see him do so well.”
Also for the boys, Jeremy Worley, a freshman, ran one of his best times of the year in the 2 mile at 12:13.
“I’m looking to next week when I get Brian Beebe back from doctor’s orders not to run because of nose surgery and Jaret Guajardo comes back as well, which is going to make our 4 x 800 team pretty strong next week at Reed,” Smith said.
Recommended Stories For You
Galena won the meet on the boys’ side, while Whittell finished in last place out of 23 teams.
For the girls, the 4 x 100 and 4 x 200 relay teams both placed eighth.
Those teams are all freshmen: Jamie Lowe, Meri Johnson, Katrina Kacirek and Casey Brumbach.
“The girls’ 4 x 100 had a time of 56.05 and the 4 x 200 was 1:57.42, which is actually three seconds better than last week in that event, so they are improving over time,” Smith said.
Also for the girls, Kristin Karmann was seventh in shot put with a best of 30 feet, 5.5 inches.
“Kachirek was another big performer on the girls’ side with a time of 13.59 in the 100 meters for ninth,” Smith added. She was also third in the long jump at 15 feet, 6 inches.
“Our distance runners, Kim McGlothlin and Danielle Daily, ran some of their best times this week,” he said, “so it’s awesome to see improvement every week. I hope to see even more of it over the season.”
The Whittell girls finished 15th out of 22 teams. Reed won for girls’ side.
The next meet for the Whittell track team is Friday and Saturday at the Reed/Sparks Invitational in Sparks. The meet begins on Friday at 3:30 p.m. and on Saturday at 9 a.m.
Trending In: Sports
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- Incline tracksters to be well-represented in Carson City
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Lake Tahoe AleWorX prepares to open second taproom featuring full bar
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely
- Amgen Tour of California road closure information for Lake Tahoe