Whittell volleyball posts key win over North Tahoe
October 7, 2008
In what coach Tony Fathergill called a “complete team effort,” the Whittell volleyball team bounced back from an opening-game loss to defeat North Tahoe 19-25, 27-25, 25-12, 25-23 in a Northern 2A match on Tuesday in Zephyr Cove.
From Austin Herrera and Lauren Andrew’s smart play to Isabel Concha-Foley’s domination at the net, the Warriors put it all together as they avenged their only league loss of the season, a 3-1 setback to the Lakers on Sept. 16 in Tahoe City.
“It was the ultimate team match, the ultimate team effort, and they really came together tonight,” Fathergill said. “They fixed their mistakes from their first game and rose up as a team. The energy in the gym was incredible.”
Whittell (12-11 overall, 5-1 league) continues league play on Saturday with a doubleheader at Battle Mountain.
Vikings make it tough on Damonte
Damonte Ranch overcame a second-game win by South Tahoe to win its Sierra Division volleyball match in three games on Tuesday night in Reno.
Recommended Stories For You
The Mustangs won 25-14, 22-25, 25-19, 25-11 to improve their division mark to 5-2. South Tahoe dropped to 1-6.
The Vikings (10-7 overall) got five blocks from senior Caroline Baghdikian, seven kills by junior Rachel Kaufer, three aces by senior Chelsea Madsen and 10 digs by senor Lauren Seidel.
South Tahoe will play host to Carson on Thursday night.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- STMS boys cross country wins 7th grade race at Tah-Neva Championships
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- Paige Spiranac talks to Tahoe youth about overcoming cyberbullying
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- Sustainable Community Alliance submits signatures for initiative to maintain South Lake Tahoe VHR cap
- El Dorado County DA: Charges filed in 2008 death of baby in South Lake Tahoe