Whittell Warriors finish 4th at state golf tourney
May 19, 2018
Satchel Hirsh didn't get off to the start he envisioned on Day 1 at the state golf tournament. But the Incline sophomore finished strong.
Whittell played consistent over the two-day tournament and had five golfers all finish in the upper half of the standings.
Hirsh finished sixth overall and the Whittell Warriors earned fourth place Wednesday and Thursday, May 16-17, at the 2018 Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association Class 2A State Boys' Golf Championship at Boulder City Municipal Golf Course in Boulder City, Nevada.
Hirsh sat in a three-way tie for eighth after the first round with a 13-over par 85, but came back the next day and fired a 4-over 76 for a combined total of 161.
The competition down south was tough. Kevin Inthachack, of The Meadows, the overall team champion, shot a two-round score of 144, including a 1-under par on Day 2, to beat the 50-golfer field by three strokes. North Tahoe's Murphy Scott came in second.
Incline's Zach Pexa also competed and finished tied for 18th. He carded a 92 in the first round and 96 for a 188 total.
Recommended Stories For You
Whittell's Patrick Smorra set the pace for the Warriors. Smorra came in 12th overall with a 178 (90-88).
Also for Whittell, Zach Jones was 14th (87-97), Jonathan Duffy was 17th (100-87), Jack Forvilly was 23rd (95-96) and the team's No. 1 player Alex Byer was 24th (91-102).
Trending In: Sports
- Lake Tahoe roads: Slide causes traffic hold on US 50; I-80 and Mt Rose Highway closed (updated)
- Lake Tahoe roads: I-80 closed, chain requirements in effect on highways (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: Rain to turn to snow today; storm warning remains in effect
- Lake Tahoe ski resorts receive nearly 3 feet of snow in 24 hours
- Winter storm could bring 3 feet of snow to Lake Tahoe during Presidents Day weekend