Whittell’s Huber, Mena earn 1st team all-league basketball honors
March 8, 2018
The Whittell Warriors boys' basketball team won a regional title and collected awards following a strong season.
Seniors Corey Huber and Genaro Mena received first-team All-Western League in a vote by the conference's coaches.
Junior Trent Dingman made the second team and junior Isaiah Womack and senior Troy Libert received honorable mention.
The Warriors finished the season at 26-4, including 14-2 in league play, and won the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association Northern Region Class 1A championship.
Huber was the Warriors long distance specialist. He averaged 12.6 points per game and drained 68 3-pointers on 162 attempts, 42 percent. He also led the Warriors in steals with 78, almost three per game.
Mena may have been the most dangerous offensive threat the Warriors had the last half of the season. He attacked the rim and created openings for Huber and other outside shooters.
Recommended Stories For You
Mena finished averaging 10.9 points per game and led the team with 19 in the northern region title game. He also grabbed three rebounds, dished 2.3 assists and made 2.9 steals per game.
Dingman also could have easily made the first team but the junior will be a team leader next season. He led the team in scoring with 12.7 points per game. He scored eight total points fewer than Huber but played in one less game.
Dingman also grabbed four rebounds, dished 2.6 assists and made two steals per contest.
Libert averaged 7.3 points but his major contributions came in the paint where he hauled in 8.3 rebounds and blocked three shots per game.
Womack averaged 7.1 points, 3.7 boards, 2.7 steals and 2.3 assists.
Tiamani Hussey received honorable mention for the Whittell girls.
Trending In: Sports
- Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar ski resorts announce 2018-19 opening dates
- South Lake Tahoe’s Jamie Anderson named to 2018-19 US Snowboard Team
- Lady Coyotes advance, receive surprise after drubbing Evergreen Valley
- Lady Coyotes angry at playoff seed, ready for Evergreen Saturday in 1st round
- Shooting restrictions affect Tahoe region, gun safety urged
- ELECTION UPDATE: Measure T’s lead falls to 47 votes in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency approves US 50 South Shore Community Revitalization Project
- Tahoe Keys Marina vows legal action after City Council rejects land swap appeal
- ELECTION UPDATE: South Lake Tahoe’s Measure T passing by 58 votes
- South Lake Tahoe man jailed after allegedly selling pot to minors