WHS soccer struggles with Fernley Vaqueros
October 23, 2008
The Whittell High girls’ soccer team fell behind early in a 3-2 non-league loss to Fernley on Thursday in Zephyr Cove.
The Vaqueros jumped out a 2-0 lead at halftime before the Warriors’ Sasha Rupp and Kendra Nelson scored second-half goals to tie it at 2. Fernley, though, converted a penalty kick in the 68th minute to escape with a victory.
“Fernley came ready to play and beat us to the punch in the first half,” said WHS coach Tony Cormier. “They kind of deflated us in the first half.”
Whittell (10-6-2 overall, 2-3-1 league) returns to Tahoe League action on Saturday when its travels to play Sparks.
The Whittell boys, meanwhile, tied Fernley 0-0 despite dominating the Vaqueros for much of the game. The Warriors bring a 10-9-3 and 0-5-2 league record into Saturday’s Tahoe League match at Sparks.
South Tahoe High completed a season volleyball sweep of Fallon on Thursday night, winning 25-13, 25-23, 25-21 in South Lake Tahoe.
Recommended Stories For You
The win enabled the Vikings to even their overall record at 11-11 and distance themselves from the last-place Greenwave in the Sierra League standings with a 2-10 record.
“They got down a few times, but they always got back up,” said South Tahoe assistant coach Brittney Hadley. “They all played their parts in the win.”
Annie Hubberts provided five digs and Chelsea Madsen four blocks for the Vikings. Caroline Baghdikian added three aces and Jackie Lopez delivered four kills.
Hadley was pleased with the setting of sophomore Riana Cerceo.
Trending In: Sports
- Whittell sprinters bring home track, field state championships
- Incline senior going for unprecedented 4th state swimming title
- South Tahoe earns 5th place at state golf tourney
- South Tahoe’s Buchholz, Whittell’s White, Rippett win Northern League titles, qualify for state
- South Tahoe’ Holmes finishes senior year with 3rd place at state meet
- In tourism-driven Tahoe, hotels are turning into homes
- UPDATE: US 395 reopens after mudslide near Nevada-California state line
- Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite’s Half Dome trail
- Man who stole ski passes from Lake Tahoe resort faces probation violation
- Caltrans: Stoplight at Camp Richardson discontinued indefinitely