Anderson nominated for ESPY Award in Best Female Action Sports Athlete category
June 24, 2016
After a stellar 2015-16 season, Jamie Anderson has the chance to earn national recognition off of the slopes. The South Lake Tahoe native and U.S. snowboarding star received a nomination for the 2016 ESPY Awards in the Best Female Action Sports Athlete category Wednesday, June 22.
Anderson was nominated in the category with fellow American snowboarder Chloe Kim (Torrance, Calif.), who also received a nomination in the Best Breakthrough Athlete category. In 2014, Anderson won ESPYs for Best Female Action Sports Athlete and Best Female U.S. Olympian.
Even after breaking her collarbone in December, Anderson — the 2014 Olympic gold medalist in slopestyle — was the 2016 FIS World Cup champion in slopestyle and won the World Snowboarding Federation's world championship titles in both slopestyle and big air. She also won the Burton U.S. Open in slopestyle, took a silver in X Games slopestyle and won the Olympic test event in PyeongChang, South Korea.
At only 16, Kim won her second and third X Games golds in 2016, becoming the youngest athlete to earn three gold medals. She also took home Youth Olympic Games gold medals in both halfpipe and slopestyle. Adding to that, she became the first female to land back-to-back 1080s in the U.S. Grand Prix at Park City, Utah, scoring her a perfect 100.
Anderson and Kim are up against Hawaiian surfers Keala Kennelly and Carissa Moore for the award that will be announced July 13 during the ceremony televised from Los Angeles on ABC. The awards are based on fan voting, which is open online until July 13 at espn.go.com/espys/2016.
Trending In: Winter Recreation
- How long will ski season run at Lake Tahoe resorts?
- Lake Tahoe skiing: What’s a snowboard lesson like for a first-time rider?
- Lowest Tahoe Local, Tahoe Value pass prices for 2016-17 season at Heavenly, Kirkwood, Northstar available through Labor Day
- Skibiking? Early life experience fuels former South Lake Tahoe resident’s passion
- Incline Village man accused of child abuse turns self in, vows to fight ‘false allegation’
- Bank drops attempted takeover of Bijou Shopping Center in South Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Daily Tribune: Measure T in South Lake Tahoe? (opinion)
- Leaf peeping at Lake Tahoe: Best spots to view fall foliage
- Removal of sign stirs controversy in race for El Dorado County District 5 supervisor