St. Theresa School to celebrate Catholic Schools Week
January 19, 2010
St. Theresa School will celebrate Catholic Schools Week Jan. 31 to Feb. 6 with a series of events and special service projects.
Principal Danette Winslow said it’s a time that the school reaches out to the community to build awareness of what St. Theresa’s offers.
“It is also a time for us to celebrate the enduring value of Catholic education and focus on the gift that it provides to America’s young people,” Winslow said.
The schedule for the week will include:
• Jan. 31, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m: Open house following the 10 a.m. Mass
• Feb. 1, 9 a.m. Prayer service
Recommended Stories For You
• Feb. 2, 12 to 1 p.m: Special Person Day; Students invite a special person (a parent, grandparent, coach, etc.) to have lunch with them in their classroom
• Feb. 3, 9 a.m.: TAP performance in the gym: “Ragtime piano”
• Feb. 3, 6 p.m.: PTG cookbook night; family potluck dinner in the gym.
• Feb. 4: Profession day; students dress in their desired profession (no sports).
• Feb. 4: Teacher will host a special luncheon for our priests Father Grace and Monsignor Wallace in commemoration of “Year of The Priest” 2010.
• Feb. 5, 9 a.m.: Mass at 9 a.m. ; minimum day. Crab dinner at 6 p.m.
• Feb. 7, 10 a.m.: Students will help with the Mass in their school uniforms. Winslow will give the reflection at all masses that weekend.
The school will also perform several service projects that week:
• All students will be collecting non-perishable food items for the parish pantry that supports the Bread & Broth program.
• Students will also be collecting stuffed animals for children at the Women’s Center.
• Fourth and fifth grade students will be crocheting and knitting prayer scarfs and prayer beanies for children at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
• “We thank all those who work hard everyday to make our school excellent: Students, families, faculty, staff, volunteers, community supporters and local national leaders,” Winslow said. “One of the most important roles of families is preparing young people for fulfilling lives of love and service to their families, their communities and the Lord.”