Stateline man will pay for beating girlfriend
A Stateline man accused of beating his pregnant girlfriend pleaded guilty Tuesday to the felony charge of battery resulting in substantial bodily harm.
Sentencing of Charles L. Hubbard, 31, was deferred for three years based on a detailed plea agreement. Alan J. Buttell, Douglas County deputy district attorney, said the agreement was reached with the endorsement of the 22-year-old victim.
“Placing him in jail will not help her support their child,” Buttell said. “Part of this deal is that he has to find employment and pay child support.”
Hubbard must complete a six-month residential treatment program at the Salvation Army in Reno and an anger counseling program. He will have a permanent restraining order prohibiting him from contacting the victim except for court-ordered visitations with their child. Besides child support Hubbard was ordered to pay $16,403.95 in restitution for the victim’s medical bills at Barton Memorial Hospital, $11,345.56 on behalf of the victim to the Victims of Crime program, and restitution for damages to the victim’s apartment.
If Hubbard successfully completes his three-year probationary period, without breaking any laws or rules of his probation, his felony conviction will be reduced to a misdemeanor domestic battery.
If he fails he could be sentenced to a maximum of five years in state prison and be fined up to $10,000.
Hubbard was arrested Oct. 7. According to the victim’s testimony, Hubbard hit her with his fist twice after an argument began over a long-distance telephone call made by Hubbard to his mother. The second blow caused her to lose consciousness. She was treated for multiple facial fractures that required three titanium plates to be surgically secured into the bones on the right side of her face.
Even with the guilty plea entered, Hubbard still didn’t take full responsibility for his actions Tuesday. He told the court that he had shoved the victim and the injuries were the result of her hitting her head on a cabinet.
Tahoe Daily Tribune E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visitors Guide | News | Diversions | Marketplace | Weather | Community
Copyright, tahoe.com. Materials contained within this site may
not be used without permission.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. — The United State Marshals Service is auctioning off the Sierra Rose, an 85-foot yacht docked at South Lake Tahoe, that it previously seized.