Tax helpers needed |

Tax helpers needed

Provided to the Tribune

Do you want to make new friends, learn new skills, and provide an essential service that people need and appreciate? If so, then being a Tax-Aide volunteer is right for you.

Don Hug has been a Tax-Aide volunteer for 15 years. “People understand the idea of volunteering, but not volunteering to do taxes,” he said. “They think if you work with taxes you have to get paid. But, an interest in numbers and a desire to help others has turned the pain of doing taxes into a fulfilling experience for me. It’s like solving a mystery; it’s exciting to discover the end result.”

Accounting experience is not required as a Tax-Aide Counselor. However, comfort in working with numbers and familiarity with federal and state income taxes is important. New counselors work with experienced volunteers who provide support and help while preparing basic state and federal income tax forms. Free training will be available in January in basic tax preparation and use of computers to prepare and electronically file tax returns.

To volunteer as a Tax-Aide Counselor or obtain more information, call D. Nangle at (530) 541-8313 or K. Taylor at (530) 544-4067. AARP Tax-Aide is administered through the AARP Foundation in cooperation with the Internal Revenue Service. Membership in AARP is not required to be a Tax-Aide volunteer or to use Tax-Aide services.