Three teens plead guilty in robberies
All three teenagers associated with robbing convenience stores admitted to the crimes before trial this month.
One of the more serious offenders, who faced six counts of robbery with use of a deadly or dangerous weapon, admitted to three counts, said El Dorado County Deputy District Attorney Mike Atwell.
The teenagers’ names are being withheld because of their age.
The 17-year-old, who remains in juvenile hall in Placerville, will likely have three strikes against him when he becomes an adult. Under California’s Three Strikes Law, the teenager would serve at least 25 years in prison if convicted of another felony.
His sentencing is June 7.
The other teenager, who had a lesser part but still participated in a robbery at the Roadrunner Gas & Liquor in Meyers, admitted to one count of robbery. He was charged with two and will be sentenced June 21.
The third participant admitted to three counts of robbery and three counts of grand theft last month. He also remains in juvenile hall. His sentencing is scheduled for May 29.
The trio’s records were previously clean of criminal activity. A trial scheduled for this month was vacated after the arrival of the pleas.
In the fall and winter months convenience and gas station managers were terrorized by armed robbers clad in black. An investigation by the school resource officer at South Tahoe High School determined the suspects were students who said they needed money for cocaine. A handgun used in the robberies was later identified as a BB gun.
– E-mail William Ferchland at email@example.com