Tourism faces challenges in wake of attacks
Tourism officials expect vacation travel to Lake Tahoe to remain in a holding pattern as the nation braces for the prospect of war, recession and struggling airlines.
South Shore travel agencies and the Lake Tahoe Visitors Authority are reporting cancellations, with the LTVA’s central reservations line “extremely quiet” Friday, Executive Director Terry LeBan said Monday.
“The reality is, life isn’t going to be fat city. We’re going to face real challenges this year,” she said.
In comparison to last year’s banner tourism season, the region already was reporting a slump, with some South Lake Tahoe hotels reporting 50 percent occupancy this summer.
As winter approaches, the LTVA, Tahoe-Douglas Visitors Authority and Ski Lake Tahoe – a consortium of six major ski resorts in the Lake Tahoe Basin – stand ready to pump promotional dollars into campaigns aimed at boosting ski-season tourism.
Climatologists predict the chance of an El Nino heading toward the region this winter. The tropical weather phenomenon has traditionally brought more precipitation to the Sierra Nevada.
“Are they going to come up for a ski vacation come hell or high water, or hole up?” LeBan asked. Like TDVA Executive Director Steve Teshara, LeBan said it’s difficult to gauge.
Much of Lake Tahoe’s tourism runs on the drive-up market, in contrast to the $455 billion global tourism market that faces a serious downturn in air travel after last week’s terrorist attack.
“People need a break from this. Maybe by the ski season, that will be the time,” LeBan said.
Carl Ribaudo of Ski Lake Tahoe believes South Shore tourism will remain soft in the short term. In the long term, the market could hold up with drive-up tourism and the city’s redevelopment plans coming online.
Tom Cargill, an economics professor with the University of Nevada, Reno, agrees, predicting Las Vegas and Washington, D.C., will get hit harder than Lake Tahoe.
“The Tahoe area, on the balance, will be adversely affected but I don’t think everything is negative,” Cargill said.
Predictions aside, the California Tourism and Travel Commission reports the state has already lost a week of business. Overseas tour packages took a dive, with cancellations and stranded tourists capping off a week of tragedy and uncertainty.
“Right now, we’re going to wait and see our next move,” commission spokesman Fred Sater said.
Meanwhile, South Lake Tahoe travel agents are scrambling to take cancellations and changes for tourists.
Emerald Travel Manager Jane Starkey has pushed forward many travelers’ plans to the end of the month. Some may need to completely repack their bags. One of Starkey’s clients decided to forgo a Cancun beach trip to work a dude ranch in Wyoming.
Airlines serving Reno/Tahoe International Airport are moving toward full schedules, with Frontier Airlines starting service Oct. 1 as planned, the Washoe County Airport Authority reported.
Lake Tahoe residents and visitors electing to take rail and bus travel have a few options. Amtrak runs the California Zephyr from Emeryville, Calif., to Chicago. The two-day trip stops in Truckee and Reno. The Coast Starlight runs from Los Angeles to Seattle, with stops in San Francisco and Sacramento.
Amtrak also runs three buses daily to Martinez, Calif., from the “Y” in South Lake Tahoe, but only for passengers who intend to connect to a train in Martinez or Sacramento. Call (800) 872-7245 for schedule information.
Greyhound runs morning and evening bus routes with departures from the Tahoe Colony Inn, 3794 Montreal Road, behind the Crescent V Shopping Center. Call (800) 231-2222 or (530) 543-1050.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
STATELINE, Nev. – The casino corridor will see fireworks this July 4 after two years in a row of them being canceled due to the pandemic.