Utility tax will fund senior center in Douglas County
MINDEN – Douglas County commissioners narrowly approved a plan to last week to build a new senior center in Carson Valley.
A 1.5 percent utility tax to build the $11.9 million center was approved, with Kelly Kite, Jim Baushke and Tim Smith voting in favor of and Dave Brady and Doug Johnson voting against the plan.
In 2004, Douglas County voters rejected Question 1, a proposal to fund a new senior center, community center and fine arts facility. More than 54 percent of the voters rejected the initiative and nearly 46 percent supported it.
The tax approved by commissioners last week is to be phased in with 1 percent effective in July and an additional half-percent effective July 1, 2008. The issue must be approved a second time by commissioners before it goes into effect.
The tentative schedule calls for design contracts to be awarded this summer with construction to begin a year later.
County officials hope the facility will be open in July 2008.
The utility tax is estimated to cost the average Douglas County household an additional $27.60 per year beginning in July increasing to $48.30 per year in July 2008, according to figures provided by the Senior Services Advisory Council.
“I was here as a commissioner last year before the election when we had the debate on Question 1 that contained all the facilities and a lot more money then they are talking about now,” said Baushke, who took over as commission chairman.
“I think there’s still a lot of support for a senior center by itself. All senior centers in Nevada are government-funded, either by the federal or local government. No senior center here or elsewhere is privately funded, because they don’t make money. They must be funded by the public.”
Smith said the decision to approve the tax was difficult.
“This was a hard decision, but one I’m willing to make,” he said. “I think the voters expect us to make these types of decisions.”
Brady said he felt the issue should be put to a vote.
“Based on today’s comments, we need to take this issue back to the voters,” he said. “We need a clear mandate.”
Designed to accommodate Douglas County’s burgeoning senior population, the new 24,800-square-foot center would be located on 25 acres known as the Bently Depot Yard, northeast of Highway 395 in Minden.
The proposed facility would include a large commercial kitchen to accommodate Meals on Wheels and a much-needed expanded lunch program in addition to a large dining room and a senior daycare facility, deemed crucial by the Senior Advisory Committee.
Additional amenities would be added during the next two phases of the project.
Annual operation and maintenance costs for the first phase are estimated at $560,000.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User