Vikings survive second-half scare to win soccer opener
For a half, the Vikings made very few mistakes.
In the ensuing half, the Hug Hawks delivered all of the key plays.
In the end, however, South Tahoe High escaped with 3-2 season-opening boys’ soccer victory Wednesday at the Community Youth Sports Complex in South Lake Tahoe.
Junior Kory DiGrande scored two goals and senior McQuade Brubaker added another as the Vikings built a 3-0 first-half lead.
But Hug senior Alan Corona burned the Vikings for two second- half goals, providing a tense finish.
“It definitely was a little disconcerting, but we just have to play with confidence,” Brubaker said. “We know we have the skills on this team to keep the lead, and we just need to work on finishing games.”
With seven minutes to go, Edwin Bustos misfired right of the goal on a free kick, and the Vikings’ defense made sure that Hug didn’t get any additional scoring chances.
The defeat was Hug’s first in six matches.
“We knew we had a team a lot stronger than we were last year, and we knew we could take this team,” Brubaker said.
South Tahoe will play at McQueen on Sept. 9.
“What I’m really proud is they are working hard with less players and a much more positive attitude,” said STHS coach Chris DeLeon, who is carrying 16 players on the varsity – nine fewer team members than usual.
“We haven’t even had a full-field scrimmage yet. What we accomplished today is more small-sided games, more touches on the ball. It worked out well, but there’s still work to do.”
For more details and photos of STHS’s opener, see Friday’s print edition of the Tahoe Daily Tribune.
Support Local Journalism
Support Local Journalism
Readers around the Lake Tahoe Basin and beyond make the Tahoe Tribune's work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, locally relevant journalism.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Your donation will help us continue to cover COVID-19 and our other vital local news.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California lifted regional stay-at-home orders across the state Monday in response to improving coronavirus conditions, returning the state to a system of county-by-county restrictions, state health officials announced.