Visitors warned about fireworks in the basin | TahoeDailyTribune.com

Visitors warned about fireworks in the basin

William Ferchland, Tahoe Daily Tribune

Arriving guests at South Lake Tahoe will be reminded by vacation rental representatives and motel managers not to shoot off fireworks .

“We’re advising all of our guests on check in,” said Greta Hambsch at Accommodation Station. “We also advise them to be careful with barbecues. If people come from California, they’re pretty well versed that this is a high fire area and fireworks can’t be introduced to this environment.”

Lidia Sowinski, manager at the South Shore Inn, said she reminds all her guests not to shoot off fireworks.

“We never had anybody who (shot off fireworks) so far,” she said.

“Obviously fireworks are very dangerous at Lake Tahoe and it’s critical they leave them at home,” said Tom Davis, president and co-owner of Tahoe Keys Resort.

Restrictions began Tuesday banning campfires, combustion engines and smoking in forested areas at the Lake Tahoe Basin.

Rex Norman, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service, encouraged people to watch the sponsored fireworks show over the lake.

“It’s not only illegal to use (fireworks), it’s illegal to posses them on forest service lands,” he said. “With fire season opening three weeks earlier than usual, it’s a cause for concern.”

Hambsch said vacationers rarely pose a problem by bringing personal fireworks.

“Most of our visitors here are very good people and they want to protect Lake Tahoe as much as we do,” she said.


Support Local Journalism

Your support means a better informed community. Donate today.


News


See more